Industry Day 2010
ECIR 2010 will be followed by a special day on Thursday 1st April 2010 devoted to the interests and needs of Information Retrieval practitioners.
In common with previous IRSG Industry Days, it will be organised as a topical selection of talks, panels and case studies from the world of search and information access, with the emphasis on content drawn from the IR practitioner community. Industry Day also aims to build bridges between IR specialists in industry and academia.
This will be the third ECIR Industry Day following very successful events at ECIR 2006 in London and ECIR 2008
09:00 - 10:00 Registration
10:00 - 10:10 Welcome
Session 1: Advancing Web Search
- 10:10 Ricardo Baeza-Yates (Yahoo! Research) "Mining the Web 2.0 to Improve Search" [pdf]
- 10:35 Dan Crow (Google) "Google Squared: web scale, open domain information extraction and presentation" [pdf]
- 11:00 Milad Shokouhi (Microsoft Research) "Relevance Challenges at Bing" [pdf]
11:25 - 11:55 Coffee break
Session 2: Enterprise Search
- 11:55 Vegard Sandvold (Comperio) "Search User Experience - The Essentials of Great Search Design" [ppt]
- 12:20 David Hawking (Funnelback) "Getting value from the Search Master's Toolbox" [ppt]
- 12:45 Nick Patience (The 451 Group) "Enterprise Search: State of the Market 2010 & Beyond" [ppt]
13:10 - 14:10 Lunch
Session 3: Domain-Specific Search
- 14:10 Rob Blackwell (Active Web Solutions) "Project Plaza - A new approach to information management in the
Construction Sector" [ppt]
- 14:35 Sally Chambers (The European Library) "Rethinking the library catalogue: making search work
for the library user" [ppt]
- 15:00 Francisco Webber and John Tait
(Information Retrieval Facility) "Collaborative Research, Technology Transfer and Networking: Essential Tools for
Europe’s Way towards an Information Society" [ppt]
15:25 - 16:00 Coffee break
Session 4: Beyond Search: Question-Answering
- 16:00 Jon McLoone (Wolfram Alpha)"Wolfram|Alpha - the new computational knowledge engine"
- 16:25 Simon Overell (True Knowledge) "Using AI to get Answers from the Internet" [pdf]
- 16:50 Panel Topic: "Leveraging semantics to enable better
search experiences". Panel members: Dan Crow (Google),
Gjergji Kasneci (Microsoft Research), Jon
McLoone (Wolfram Alpha), Simon Overell (True
Knowledge). Panel moderator: Mike Taylor.
This discussion will centre on the exciting subject of semantic analysis. We
will try to cover both technological and application orientated aspects of this
field. For example, some of the questions we will attempt to address are as
- How feasible is it to automatically infer useful semantic information from the Web?
- How should we quantify trust and ambiguity in knowledge extracted from the Web?
- Could semantic search ever replace keyword search?
- What is a good UI for semantic search?
17:30 - 19:30 Drinks reception
The registration fee includes lunch and a copy
of the Industry Day proceedings. Tea and coffee will also be available throughout the day followed by a drinks reception.
Please register via the ECIR 2010 Registration
Industry Day will be held at the same venue as the main conference (The Open University).
If you have any enquiries about the event, please contact Udo Kruschwitz: udo [at] essex.ac.uk
Industry Day Organisers
, University of Essex
, Microsoft Research